Effective Date: January 1, 2020
Ryder System, Inc., a Florida corporation, (“Ryder,” “we”, “us”, or “our”) values your trust and is committed to the responsible management, use, and protection of your personal information. This Job Applicant Privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes our practices in connection with the personal information that Ryder collects from you in connection with your job application to and recruitment with Ryder.
What information we collect
We may collect the following categories of personal information. Not all categories may be collected about every individual:
- Personal identifiers, such as name and address
- Device and online identifiers and related information, such as telephone number and email address
- Username and password
- Internet, application, and network activity, such as cookie IDs and browser visits
- Government identifiers, such as national identification numbers and driver’s license numbers
- Demographic information, such as age and date of birth
- Financial information, such as credit and debit card numbers and claims information
- CV, resume, cover letter
- Referral names and contact information for referrals
- Information relating to character and employment references
- Characteristics of protected classifications under state or federal law, such as gender and nationality
- Biometric information, such as imagery of the iris, retina, and fingerprints
- Location information, such as geo-location information
- Audio, visual, and other sensory information, such as audio and video recordings
- Employment information, such as occupation, title, licenses and professional memberships
- Background and criminal information, such as background checks and criminal convictions, drug screening results
- Education information, such as degree and schooling information
- Individual preferences and characteristics, such as inferences, preferences you have expressed related to choice of working locations, or cover letter objectives
- Any other information you elect to provide to us (e.g., employment preferences, willingness to relocate, current salary, desired salary, awards or professional memberships).
How We Collect Information
Information Collected from You
We collect information directly from you during the recruitment and hiring process. This includes information that you give us when you create a profile in our application system, and information you provide when you apply or interview for a position.
Information Collected Automatically
Information Collected from Other Sources
We receive information about you from third-party sources to assist us with specific employment-related activities. For example, background reporting agencies may conduct background checks on our behalf and provide their results to us. Examples of the types of information contained in a background check may include your criminal, employment, and educational history, as well as information about your character, general reputation, personal characteristics, credit standing, and more. We will obtain an authorized disclosure before conducting a criminal background check on you. We may also collect information from references you provide to us.
We may also receive information from publicly available social media or career site profiles.
How We Use Your Information
We may use your personal information for various purposes, including:
- Recruiting and employment purposes
- To create and maintain your account
- To conduct business analysis, such as analytics, projections, identifying areas for operational improvement
- To conduct auditing and monitoring of engagement
- Legal or compliance functions
- Updating operational and technical functionality
- To protect the security and integrity of our systems, processes and our business, and help prevent fraud
Some examples of the recruiting and employment purposes described above are to:
- Assessing your skills, qualifications, and interests against our career opportunities;
- Verifying your information and carrying out reference checks and/or conducting background checks (where applicable) if you are offered a job;
- Communications with you about the recruitment process and/or your job application(s), including, in appropriate cases, informing you of other potential career opportunities at Ryder;
- Creating and/or submitting reports as required under any applicable laws or regulations;
- Where requested by you, assisting you with obtaining an immigration visa or work permit where required;
- Making improvements to Ryder’s job application and/or recruitment process, including improving diversity in our recruitment practices;
- Complying with applicable laws, regulations, legal processes, or enforceable governmental requests; and/or
- Proactively conducting research about your educational and professional background and skills and contacting you if we think you would be suitable for a role with Ryder.
If you are offered and accept employment with Ryder, the personal information collected during the job application and recruitment process may become part of your employment record.
How We Share Your Information
All of the categories of personal information that we collect have been shared with other companies, including those within our corporate family, for a business purpose. We will only share your personal information within our corporate family of companies as permitted by law, except in the following circumstances:
From time to time, we may utilize service providers to administer certain programs, benefits, or administrative functions on behalf of Ryder related to our recruitment and hiring processes. We require our service providers to keep confidential the information that we obtain from you as an applicant. We do not allow our service providers to use or share your information for any purpose other than providing services on our behalf, without your affirmative consent.
Sharing for Legal Requirements and Protection of Our Companies and Others
We may share your information in certain other circumstances, which include situations when sharing is required by law, or we believe sharing will help to protect the safety, property, or our rights or the rights of our customers, our applicants or associates, or other persons. Examples include:
- Protecting the health or safety of applicants, employees, or customers;
- Addressing crimes committed on or to our properties;
- Identifying and addressing fraud or financial risk;
- Providing information to law enforcement at their written request;
- Responding to a search warrant, subpoena, or other valid legal inquiry
Ryder maintains appropriate technical and organizational measures, including, but not limited to, reasonably designed administrative, physical, and technical safeguards, designed to protect the personal information obtained as discussed in this Notice from accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorized disclosure and access. Ryder personnel and service providers with access to personal information collected as discussed in this Notice are required to keep such information confidential and secure.
California Privacy Rights
Subject to certain limitations, the California Consumer Privacy Act provides California residents the right to request to know more details about the categories or specific pieces of personal information we collect (including how we use and disclose this information), to delete their personal information, to opt out of any “sales” that may be occurring, and to not be discriminated against for exercising these rights. California law requires additional disclosures which may be found here in our Privacy Statement California.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13. If you are under 13, please do not attempt to fill out our forms or send any personal information about yourself to us. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13, we will delete that information promptly.
Changes to Our Notice
Ryder reserves the right to update or change this Notice from time to time. We ask that you review the Notice periodically to stay informed about any updates or changes that we may have made.
You can see when this Notice was last updated by checking the “Effective Date” displayed at the top of this Notice.
For questions about this policy, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at:
Ryder System, Inc.
11690 NW 105th Street
Miami, Florida 33178
Attn: Law Department, Chief Privacy Officer