Ryder System, Inc. (NYSE: R), a leader in supply chain, dedicated transportation and commercial fleet management solutions, continues to support customers by establishing pop-up fleets and meeting the increased demand for the warehousing, distribution and final mile delivery of essential goods. To further support the flow of goods and services required in the ongoing fight against COVID-19, Ryder is also making long-term rental contracts available and redirecting assets and personnel.
“This is an unprecedented time that has required unprecedented actions and Ryder plays an integral role,” says Ryder Chairman & CEO Robert Sanchez. “Many companies have changed their manufacturing capabilities to produce ventilators and personal protective equipment, and Ryder shifting things up to meet customer demands is no different. As a leader in transportation solutions, we are using our available resources to help the many customers who need our services and expertise the most.”
Since this outbreak began to impact North America, Ryder has worked with customers to proactively help with relief efforts, including:
- Establishing pop-up warehousing to safely store critical supplies for a variety of customers;
- Re-deploying trucks and drivers from non-essential businesses to essential businesses within the food, beverage, and medical industries to handle the surge in demand caused by panic buying;
- Increasing hours of operations and adding shifts to handle surge in demand for grocery and consumer packaged goods;
- Providing additional trucks to meet the needs of food banks and other social services providers;
- Making time-sensitive deliveries of pharmacy and over-the-counter medicines and everyday items to large retail pharmacy chains, hospitals, doctor’s offices, nursing homes and critical care facilities;
- Assisting a leading steel distributor in surging its capacity to support critical demand for medical manufacturing for items such as ventilators, personal protection equipment, and tents for drive-through COVID-19 testing;
- Providing Final Mile Home deliveries of essential products for consumers who are under “stay-in-shelter” orders; and
- Offering discounts off commercial rental rates to food banks, companies transporting medical supplies, and other customers contributing to COVID-19 relief operations in the U.S. and Canada.
Most all of Ryder’s locations and operations have remained open for business, with temporary closures for cleaning and disinfecting as needed, supporting the many customers that continue to operate. Even in the communities that have closed businesses or are working within a phased reopening plan, Ryder’s services have been deemed critical by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) given the nature of the work the company does to keep the flow of essential products moving into our communities.
“The men and women of Ryder on the logistics front lines are out there every day moving supply chains forward and making deliveries of essential items during this challenging time. I couldn’t be more proud of and grateful for our amazing workforce,” adds Sanchez. “Whether inside the shop working to keep trucks running, in the truck hauling precious cargo to keep grocery stores stocked, at the warehouse fulfilling consumers online orders, or at the rental counter supplying vehicles to businesses, they are getting the job done, and most importantly doing it safely.”